Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Community is essential...

When I knew I was coming back to South Africa I was excited for so many reasons. One of the reasons was community. I knew that I would be part of a Jesus loving community in the church of Riverside and through Door of Hope. Being an extrovert I crave time with people. I love being around people. However, the older I get the more I realize I do enjoy being alone as well but that’s not the topic of this blog. Can I just be honest? Real honest with you? Are you sure? Even if you might get your feelings hurt? Just don’t say I didn’t warn you.
When I was in college I was actively involved in a Gospel driven, mission minded, non-believer reaching church. A church that made me excited to go to. A church I would be able to worship freely, hear a convicting message that would make me think and prompt me to change. This was a church that I enjoyed being a part of. When I returned home from college, I couldn’t find that anywhere. I couldn’t find a church that welcomed older singles, worshiped freely and taught convicting Gospel centered messages. I craved community. I craved to be a part of the body of Christ. I went to a church 30 minutes from my home but with it being in another town it was hard to get connected with people. For THREE years I’ve been listening to podcasts (Matt Chandler, David Platt, Francis Chan, Bill Johnson and Kris Vallotton). Did you read that? THREE years I’ve been church hunting and coming up empty handed, broken and alone. During this time I would pray “Jesus, I know it’s not about me but I can’t go to a church just to take up another seat on a pew. I want to be involved and active and serve.” And even in that I still sound selfish.
Now that I’m back, I have that. I have a community, a place to serve, a church that convicts and prompts to go and be the hands and feet of Jesus. I am so thankful I am apart of bible studies and small groups. As a believer, being a part of community is essential to your walk and allows you to be sharpened and grow. Jesus brings people in your life at different times to show you new things. I’m sure there is a reason why I was in a church rut for three years. It did teach me how important community is and to be thankful when you have it. It taught me how much I crave to be a part of a church that preaches “meat” instead of “milk”. This is only my opinion, so don’t get too upset. Jesus is the reason of life and community is essential to that life.

No comments:

Post a Comment