Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Elephant Sanctuary + Lion and Rhino Park….

Since we don't get out of the baby house much unless it is to go to the Glen, it was super exciting to know that a trip was in the works for us to go some where special. The date was set for Saturday the 7th of September and  the plan was made for us to go to the elephant sanctuary and the lion and rhino park. I was super excited about the elephant sanctuary because I have never seen an elephant before. I went to the lion and rhino park last time I was here but I never saw rhinos. So the night before I packed my lunch and book bag for the next days adventure. 

We left the house at 6:30am and headed out towards Hartbeespoort Dam. The first tour is at 8:00 and it took us about an hour to get there. It was so beautiful driving there because I got to see the country and the sun rise. When we got to the elephant sanctuary the tour guide told us some rules and a little about the elephants. All I remembered about his talk was that the elephant is only your friend if you have food. No food, no friend. Ok, gotcha. So the first thing we got to do was brush the elephant. The trainer stood with me the whole time and fed the elephant. So I think…ok that wasn't a joke. This huge guy isn't anyones friend unless they are feeding him. I was told that brushing him helps him because if it's not done then parasites make their home in the elephants wrinkles. Weird. You're welcome elephant. 

Next we walked up on a dock type platform and came down one by one to walk with the elephant. I was told to lightly hold the inside of his trunk in a cupping formation while walking fast with him behind me. So in a way I would be leading the elephant. I seriously laughed while walking around the pin because I felt like I was in a parade. So of course I got stupid and started smiling like it and hamming it up for the cameras. 

We walked through the woods to see the oldest elephant there and feed him. He was huge! Seriously I have never seen a living creature that large before in my life. I wasn't the first to volunteer to feed him. After we fed him we walked back into the woods to be met by two other elephants where we were told about them. Their skin, feet, tail, emotions…everything. I got a sloppy wet kiss (not the one David Crowder sings about) from the elephant. So now I can say my last kiss was from an elephant. Yes, and I will tell everyone that. 

It was really neat learning about one of God's creations. He made them super unique and brilliant. He made them with personalities and defenses. He made them large and quite. It's such a beautiful thing to see God's creation and encounter it as well. I must say that He did an amazing job with the elephant. It is by far the most amazing animal I've ever encountered. 

No comments:

Post a Comment