Friday, September 6, 2013

Starfish…

Have you guys ever heard of the story about the starfish? Let me enlighten you. 

A young girl was walking along a beach upon which thousands of starfish had been washed up during a terrible storm. When she came to each starfish, she would pick it up, and throw it back into the ocean. People watched her with amusement.

She had been doing this for some time when a man approached her and said, “Little girl, why are you doing this? Look at this beach! You can’t save all these starfish. You can’t begin to make a difference!”

The girl seemed crushed, suddenly deflated. But after a few moments, she bent down, picked up another starfish, and hurled it as far as she could into the ocean. Then she looked up at the man and replied,

“Well, I made a difference to that one!”

The reason I tell you that story is because that's why these toddlers are called starfish. Here at the Door of Hope it is overwhelming when we hear the statistics of babies that are being abandoned. But because of the Door of Hope they are making a difference even if it is just 30 babies. And it brings tear to my eyes to know the Lord is using me to be apart of this wonderful organization that is making a difference in the world. 

So I had my first day in Starfish. It was interesting to say the least. I was very worn out by the end of the day. I absolutely love ALL of these children here so much. So the toddlers are around 1 to 2 years old. Most of them can walk (so they are into EVERYTHING) and the others crawl (they are also into EVERYTHING.) Only a few can talk (so they repeat what you say). I learned a few things here that are different from working with big babies. 

1. Their nappies (diapers) smell atrocious and I want to change them asap. 
2. Don't leave the outside door open. (they escape. hello, they can walk.)
3. I say the word "no" more than I breathe.
4. I can never hug to much. (these sweet kiddos like their hugs)
5. These kids (unlike big babies) like their food…so I shovel it in as fast as I can or they will cry!
6. I can have 6 kids sitting on top of me at once. I don't know how they manage it but they do.
7. Outside time they find the smallest item in the world and naturally it goes in their mouth. (glad I know child CPR).
8. Sharing isn't an option. (if sharing does happen, a miracle from Jesus was just observed)
9. They. Are. Heavier. (geez, these kids can eat…so they weigh more. Obviously)
10. They are the ones who get adopted more often. So, since I have been here I have seen 4 toddlers leave and one go to another house. Now that will make you happy and sad all at the same time.

The toddlers are so much fun to work with because their personalities are very much present. They are already becoming their own little person. Some of them like to cuddle and some of them you have to attack and say "You are going to hug me whether you like it or not." (Ok, maybe that's just me because I'm a weirdo.) (They do love me even when I force love onto them). It's harder working with the toddlers. Mainly because it is way more physical work. None of them are potty trained. So lifting a heavy child to a changing table 8 times can definitely work my arms and back out. It is also so rewarding. They are the ones who like to fight over who sits in my lap or who gets to hold my hand. So the fight for love and attention is rampant and believe me I've got lots to go around. I distribute it as evenly as I can. At the end of the day I am exhausted and fulfilled all at the same time. I fill physically drained but emotionally and spiritually filled to the measure. It's a weird feeling, but I like it. 

2 comments:

  1. Amanda, I did not know you were working abroad and in the mission field. I enjoyed reading your post. Keep writing and keep up the good work! I will add you to my prayers.
    Mz. Glinda Majors aka GiGi

    ReplyDelete