Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Mount Everest and The Lion King…

On my days off I usually walk to The Glen. The Glen is the mall in Glenvista. Glenvista is the area of Johannesburg where I am staying. Walking to The Glen is great and refreshing. When we get there we usually run a few errands, window shop and then go to the grocery store. Its a bit confusing in the grocery store. In Africa they obviously call things something different than what we call them. Like the cracker isle will say biscuits. That threw me for a loop. I am able to eat most of the same things I eat at home. I eat peanut butter and jelly or ramen noodles for lunch and chicken and some kind of veggie and starch for dinner. Breakfast, when I have it, I eat cereal, toast or yogurt. I feel like one of those people who instagram their food right now. Sorry guys if you are annoyed. Surely you are curious about what I eat everyday. (sarcasm) So, on the way back from The Glen is where the Mount Everest part comes in. Yeah, remember when I said it is so refreshing and great to walk TO The Glen? 
Walking back is a different story. Going to The Glen is completely downhill. You can imagine what it is coming back. Completely UPHILL. This isn't like our hills, where it is basically a small little hump. This is where my foot is completely as far up as it can go and my calves are burning like no other calf exercise I've ever done. I feel as if I need a hiking stick, a canteen, a 12 exercise classes to prepare me for the trek. When we finally get back to the house I am so exhausted I look as if I just ran a marathon AND did a Richard Simmons video all at the same time. The Aunties laugh at me when I walk in the house.  Oh, and did I mention I have a 23lb book bag on, carrying all of my groceries as well as a bag in both hands weighing about 7lbs a piece. Yeah, throw me a pity party right now. 
Today I got my hammock out and hung it up on the play set outside and did some reading. It was very relaxing and nice. Just like Buddy the Elf smiling is his favorite, well, hammocking is mine. So tonight we are watching The Lion King. How appropriate. This is just perfect. Tomorrow is another day in paradise. I miss the babies on my days off. Goodness I can't wait to get back in there tomorrow and love on those sweet, beautiful angels. 

1 comment:

  1. If I had dentures they would have flown out of my mouth, across the table, and hit some innocent by standard in the face. You make me laugh SO hard! I wish I could have packed you some gold spandex or a scrunchy to make your hike more enjoyable. Because spandex is always so enjoyable right!!!??!! ;) I love you!

    ReplyDelete